THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Widgets

Skinny Girls Need Love, Too!

I get a lot of shit for being thin.

Thanks to the 'big and beautiful' self-love movement that's been going on (for quite a while now), I see a lot of style bloggers hating on skinny girls, assuming that a lot of us 'don't eat' and we're not 'real women'.

You know what, bitches? I'm offended. Seriously.

Don't get me wrong- kudos to you for learning to love your body. We all need to do that. But who the hell do you think you are, shaming skinny girls like that?

Does being thin make me less of a woman?

NO.

I eat what my body wants, when it wants, and I am naturally this way. In fact, there's a pretty good chance I'm healthier than you are!

I've struggled with eating disorders in the past, and it's not pretty. I used to be a very angry, self-loathing girl who never thought she was good enough.. for many years. I looked at girls that were actually both shorter and heavier than myself, and wished I could be as thin as them! I thought I was HUGE. But I really wasn't. A lot of that time, actually, I was heavier than I am now. My body was in starvation mode and clung on to every single calorie I put in me, like it was the last I'd ever eat. (Once I started doing what made me happy, I began to overcome these problems. See 'Self Image, Lovers, Haters, and Your Personal Thought Process')

I know there are a lot of women out there who struggle with the same issues I once did. So many people are dying every single day of health complications and suicide, simply because they feel unloved and hate themselves.

So, going back to my original point, I think there is something very, very wrong with putting down thin girls in support of this 'real women aren't skinny' movement. These 'big and beautiful' women are doing the same exact thing that offended them in the first place, to start this movement- putting others down as a way to feel better about themselves. They're hypocrites.

Stop hating other women already!

If we, as women, are going to overcome these imaginary social boundaries we've drawn for ourselves, we need to stop judging so harshly (see 'Are You Too Judgmental?'), and focus on doing good and creating happiness. Replace negativity with positive thoughts and actions. (see
'43 Things You Can Do Right Now To Cure The Blahs')

And as for the physical, our main focus should be on being healthy and taking care of ourselves. Treat yourself and others with respect. Be good to yourself, mind and body. Hate only breeds more hate, and that is no way to live!

So here's your first step to recovery, if you're brave enough- hug a woman, big or small, and tell her she's beautiful. We all need a little kindness.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Growing up with overweight parents, by virtue of the fact that I am slender, I was automatically "too skinny". My mom asked me if I was bulimic, too. Weight is one of those things that just highlights so many things that are wrong with people. People focus on weight instead of health. People focus on the images of others rather than the image of themselves. People focus on categorizing instead of individuals being unique.

    Even when people are trying to be nice, they still manage to mess things up quite often. "Less is more" goes lost on a lot of folks. Like they can say something nice, then negate it with their very next statement. "Look at how nice and thin you are. You're lucky you're young and your metabolism is good, but it won't do that forever." While there may be some truth in that statement, why not just stop after the first sentence? Never mind the fact that I was that thin because I ate right and exercised. There's always some remark that has to get thrown in there to validate them or make some excuse. You've got the right of it, though. The only way to change things is to just focus on yourself and not what others say, and then to return criticism with patience and kindness. Very nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tony! I should have elaborated that guys deal with the same issues, too! (my boyfriend is very thin as well) In fact, I'm sure there is more pressure put on thin guys than girls, as the supposed 'ideal' male image is bulky and muscular, and lean muscle is often overlooked.

      I'm so sick of hearing, "Girl, you need to eat a cheeseburger." I love (veggie) burgers, and often eat two in a sitting! I may not be shoving greasy, fatty foods down my throat, but that doesn't mean I don't eat. I can only hope one day people will understand much of these comments are based on their own feelings of inadequacy..

      Delete

Hey, thanks for reading! Please take a moment to leave a comment- this is a do-follow blog, so share a link to your own blog or social media account! ;) [NO SPAMMING]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...